Wednesday 16 November 2011

Poem written for my Father

Poem written for my Father

Why this Earth with luscious green?
Rivers streaming to the salty sea.
The wicked I've known,
The beauty I've seen,
And the intense experience of love and hatred in extreme,
Guilty of both the evil and the good I've been.

I've embraced the dementia around me;
Pride dictates the coming fall.
Not for him the sterile tree-lined roads
To the house with the gilted gate,
And the poorly-paid are told to tend
The one's they neither love nor hate.
Nature is overpowering nurture
And the Strong hold dominion over the Weak.

No, not for daddy the caring facades and
Smiling masks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Dearest AJButtle,

I can see, and feel your words, as if they are a painting; so vividly in my mind, they are embedded. I weep for you, your precious father and your mourning mother. And I weep for me-the loss of my mom; your beautiful words have swept me back to a more sorrowful time.

Job well done when you make the reader weep.

Your Devoted Reader,
ARC